UCSF - Mission Bay
Sandler Neurosciences Center Rm 502
MC 0444 675 Nelson Rising Lane
San Francisco, CA 94158
Jyoti grew up in New Delhi, India and was introduced to research in the neurosciences during her Masters' training at the National Center for Biological Sciences (NCBS). It was love at first sight and no looking elsewhere from that moment on. In 2008 she obtained her Ph.D. in Computational Neurobiology from UC San Diego under the mentorship of Dr. Steven Hillyard and Dr. Terry Sejnowski. She then moved to San Francisco in 2009 for a unique joint post-doctoral training opportunity bridging industry and academia between the Gazzaley lab & the Brain Plasticity Institute (BPI) at PositScience. She is now Assistant Professor
in the departments of Neurology and Psychiatry.
Jyoti's current research includes:
(1) Advancing neurotechnology in the lab -
- Development & validation of a Cognitive Brain Computer Interface.
- Development & validation of Delayed Gratification Training.
(2) Application of neurotechnology in the community
- Attention training in children with ADHD.
- Cognitive Diagnostics and Interventions for children in foster-care.
- Mishra J, Gazzaley A. Cross-species approaches to Cognitive Neuroplasticity Research. Neuroimage doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.09.002. 2015.
- Janowich J, Mishra J, Gazzaley A. A Cognitive Paradigm to Investigate Interference in Visual and Auditory Working Memory. Journal of Visualized Experiments (101), e52226, doi:10.3791/52226. 2015.
- Ziegler D, Mishra J, Gazzaley A. The acute and chronic impact of technology on our brain. in L.D. Rosen, L.M. Carrier, N.A. Cheever (Ed.), The Wiley Blackwell Handbook of Psychology, Technology and Society. (Chapter 1 pp 3-19) 2015.
- Mishra J, Gazzaley A. Closed-loop cognition: the next frontier arrives. Trends in Cognitive Sciences. (Chapter 1, pp 3-19) 2015.
- Mishra J, Gazzaley A. Closed Loop Rehabilitation of Age-related Cognitive Disorders. Seminars in Neurology 2014.
- Mishra J, deVillers Sidani E, Merzenich MM, and Gazzaley A. Adaptive training diminishes distractibility in aging across species. Neuron 2014.
- Mishra J. Global collaboration. Science 346: 47-49. 2014.
- Mishra J, Rolle C, and Gazzaley A. Neural Plasticity underlying Perceptual training and its Relationship with Working Memory Gains. Brain Research doi:10.1016/j.brainres.2014.09.009. [Epub ahead of print] 2014.
- Mishra J, Bavelier D, and Gazzaley A. Probing the Plasticity of Attention and Working Memory. Cambridge Handbook on Applied Perception Research (in press) 2014.
- Mishra J. Having it all. Science 345: 1090. 2014
- Guerreiro MJS, Anguera JA, Mishra J, Van Gerven PWM, Gazzaley A. Age-equivalent top-down modulation during cross-modal selective attention. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 10:1-13. 2014.
- Mishra J, Gazzaley A. Harnessing the Neuroplastic Potential of the Human Brain & the Future of Cognitive Rehabilitation. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 8(218):1-4. 2014
- Mishra J and Gazzaley A. Attentional Control of Multisensory Integration is preserved in Aging. in G.R. Mangun (Ed.), Cognitive Electrophysiology of Attention: Signals of the Mind (pp: 190-204). Elsevier. 2014.
- Mishra J, Anguera J, Ziegler D, Gazzaley A. A Cognitive Framework for Understanding and Improving Interference Resolution in the Brain. Progress in Brain Research 207: 351-377. 2013
- Mishra J and Gazzaley A. Preserved Discrimination Performance and Neural Processing during Crossmodal Attention in Aging. PLOS One 8(11): e81894. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081894. 2013
- Mishra J, Merzenich MM, Sagar R. Accessible online neuroplasticity-targeted training for children with ADHD. Child and Adolescent Mental Health 7:38-40. 2013
- Mishra J, Martinez A and Hillyard SA. Audition influences color processing in the sound-induced visual flash illusion. Vision Research pii: S0042-6989(13)00255-1. doi: 10.1016/j.visres.2013.10.013 2013.
- Mishra J, Zanto T, Nilakantan A and Gazzaley A. Comparable mechanisms of working memory interference by auditory and visual motion in youth and aging. Neuropsychologia 51: 1896-1906. 2013.
- Mishra J and Gazzaley A. Attention distributed across sensory modalities enhances perceptual performance. Journal of Neuroscience 32: 12294-302. 2012.
- Mishra J, Bavelier D, and Gazzaley A. How to assess Gaming-induced benefits on Attention and Working Memory. Games for Health Journal 1: 192-8. 2012.
- Mishra J, Martinez A, Schroeder C, and Hillyard SA. Spatial attention boosts short-latency neural responses in human visual cortex. Neuroimage 59: 1968-78. 2012.
- Mishra J, Zinni M, Bavelier D, and Hillyard SA. Neural basis of superior performance of video-game players in an attention-demanding task. Journal of Neuroscience 31: 992-998. 2011.
- Mishra J, Martinez A, Hillyard SA. Effect of Attention on Early Cortical Processes associated with the Sound-induced Extra Flash Illusion. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 22: 1714-1729. 2010.
- Mishra J, Martinez A, Hillyard SA. Cortical Processes Underlying Sound-Induced Flash Fusion. Brain Research 1242: 102-15. 2008.
- Mishra J, Hillyard SA. Endogenous attention selection during binocular rivalry at early stages of visual processing. Vision Research 49: 1073-80. 2008.
- Bonath B, Noesselt T, Martinez A, Mishra J, Schwiecker K, Heinze H, Hillyard SA. Neural basis of the Ventriloquist illusion. Current Biology 17: 1-7. 2007.
- Mishra J, Martinez A, Sejnowski TJ, Hillyard SA. Early cross-modal interactions in auditory and visual cortex underlie a sound-induced visual illusion. Journal of Neuroscience 27: 4120-4131. 2007.
- Mishra J, Fellous JM, and Sejnowski TJ. Selective attention through phase relationship of excitatory and inhibitory input synchrony in a model cortical neuron. Neural Networks 19: 1329-46. 2006.
- Mishra J, and Bhalla US. Simulations of Inositol Phosphate Metabolism and its Interaction with InsP3mediated Calcium Release. Biophysical Journal 83: 1298-1316. 2002.
- Sivakumaran S, Hariharaputran S, Mishra J, and Bhalla US. The Database of Quantitative Cellular Signaling: management and analysis of chemical kinetic models of signaling networks. Bioinformatics 19: 408-415. 2003.
- Kothekar V, Sahi S, Srinivasan M, Mohan A, and Mishra J. Recognition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) active site by NSAIDs: a computer modeling study. Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics 38: 56-63. 2001.
- Kothekar V, Sahi S, and Mishra J. Molecular dynamics simulation of the interaction of 5-keto substituted 7-tert-butyl-2,3-dihydro-3,3-dimethylbenzofuran derivatives with cyclooxygenase-2. Current Science 80: 764-770. 2001.
- Kothekar V, Sahi S, and Mishra J. Enzyme selectivity of new cyclooxygenase-2/5 lipoxygenase inhibitors using molecular modeling approach. Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics 37: 86-96. 2000.